Freeport Maine Shopping Destination LL Bean Outlet Store
L.L.Bean is an American privately held mail-order, online and retail company founded in 1912 by Leon Leonwood Bean and currently based in Freeport, Maine. LL Bean is a Maine shopping destination and one of the most recognizable New England products in the world. The Freeport store specializes in clothing and outdoor recreation equipment. Leon Leonwood Bean (1872–1967) was an inventor, author, outdoor enthusiast, and founder of the company L.L.Bean. Please share your L.L. Bean comments. To feature your business, contact us.
LL Bean – A Maine Shopping Travel Destination
History of LL Bean
Bean was born in the town of Greenwood, Maine on November 13, 1872, to Benjamin Warren Bean and Sarah (Swett) Bean. He had five brothers. Bean’s interest in business was shown early, with his first money earned when he was nine years old. He was told he could attend the local fair or sell steel traps to his father, and Bean decided to sell the traps. When Bean was 12 years of age, his parents died only four days apart from each other. He moved to South Paris, Maine to stay with his family. When Bean was 13 years old, he killed and sold his first deer. His education was limited. Bean’s schooling outside of public school includes only one semester at Hebron Academy and a course in business at Kent’s Hill Academy. Bean paid for the limited amount of schooling he completed by himself.
Foundation of L.L.Bean
Bean was an avid hunter and fisherman. In his outdoor activities, he noticed that his boots would become soaked with water. Bean set out to resolve this inconvenience and developed plans for a waterproof boot. The boot was a combination of lightweight leather for the upper part of the boot and rubber on the bottom. He brought the plans to a cobbler, and the first boots were made. Bean felt the boot produced to be of good quality, and obtained a list of nonresident Maine hunting license holders, and prepared a descriptive mail order circular. He promised 100% money back for anyone who was unhappy with the boots.
Because of this, Bean had to refund 90% of the costs of the first 100 sets of boots made, when the rubber on the bottom developed cracks Bean seemed not to mind returning the money, and the popularity of the boots was clear. In 1911, Bean took out a loan in the amount of $400 and set off to Boston. In Boston, he offered the United States Rubber Company the remainder of his $400 to produce a better quality boot for him. With the better quality boots available, Bean set up a boot shop in his brother’s basement in Freeport, Maine. His skills and trials as an entrepreneur, along with his promise to return 100% money back on all items, were detailed by many local and national newspapers of the time. By 1917, he had sold enough of his boots to buy a dedicated building for his shop on the main street of Freeport. In 1918, Bean realized the importance of patenting his invention. As the patent was granted, he moved on to inventing and improving more outdoor equipment and expanding his store to what L.L.Bean is today.
Bean published a book in 1942, called Hunting, Fishing and Camping, and an autobiography, in 1960, called My Story: the Autobiography of a Down-East Merchant.”
Death and Legacy
Bean died in Pompano Beach, Florida, on February 5, 1967, at the age of 94. He was buried in Freeport’s Webster Cemetery. At the time of his death, the annual sales of his company were in the hundreds of millions. The company policy of giving 100% money back on returned products still applies today. Maine Medical Center has named one of its wings in his honor. In addition, his portrait hangs in a ground-floor corridor at the hospital. Not to be confused with the first floor, which is one floor up from the ground level.
LL BEAN STYLE MEN’S BOOTS
- Seam-sealed waterproof construction keeps feet dry
- Stain and water resistant leather provides durability and lasting wear
- Fully lined shaft and full length memory foam footbed with warm thermal linings
- Non-marking lugged rubber outsole with molded Wave-Siping delivers ultimate wet/dry traction
- Fleece lined with 200g Thiosulfate insulation
- Waterproof construction
- Rubber shell
- Non marking outsole with no slip traction
- Boot Material: Vegan Leather Upper and Waterproof Shell
- Perfect For Indoor And Outdoor Use, Stay At Home, Walking, Hiking, Traveling or Anywhere.
- Cold-Weather Boot Featuring Waterproof Shell Bottom
- Laced-up Rubber Sole Snow Boots for Men
- Grip Bottom For Rain And Snow
- Comfort features like pigskin lining and an Ortholite footbed make this slip-on the perfect everyday companion
- Compression molded EVA footframe provides cushioning
- Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability and breathable mesh lining
- Mid-cut rugged boot with Scotchguard-treated leather upper featuring rubber toe for better weather resistance
- The finish or polish on these boots show marks which are not scratches
- Chukka boot silhouette, Two eyelet lace-up front, Cushioned insole
- Upper material - Suede. Lining material- Leather
- Note: Color shade may vary due to lighting
- WATERPROOF BOOT: Made with waterproof full grain leather or suede and features a seam-sealed waterproof construction; Ideal for cold weather outdoor activities
- INSULATED WARMTH: Features 200g insulation and microfleece lining that keeps you warm as the temperatures drop
- DESIGNED FOR COMFORT: Removable EVA footbed with microfleece top cover that's comfortable all day long in cold, wet winter weather
- GRIPPY OUTSOLE: Handcrafted waterproof vulcanized rubber shell with herringbone outsole gives you a little extra traction in icy conditions
- FUNCTION MEETS FASHION: SOREL creates bold, always-ready footwear that's built to take on non-stop days and nights in the city
- The Yukon 3 boot from Kamik® will keep your feet warm and dry especially on those cold, wet days this season.
- Waterproof leather upper with waterproof rubber foot.
- Seam sealed waterproof construction keeps out the wet elements.
- Traditional lace-up design for a more secure fit.
- Back pull loop allows for easier entry. Removable footbed is lightly cushioned for all-day underfoot comfort. Durable rubber outsole that provides great grip and traction for a variety of surfaces. Imported. Measurements: Weight: 1 lb 5 oz Product measurements were taken using size 12, width D - Medium. Please note that measurements may vary by size. Weight of footwear is based on a single item, not a pair.
- SOREL Boots: Brave the cold and enjoy the winter activities with a boot featuring extra-grip traction, 200g insulation, waterproof materials, and comfort
- Winter Boots for Men: Ideal for extreme weather with 200g insulation and microfleece lining that keeps you warm as temperatures drop
- Waterproof Boots for Men: Classic design of this extreme weather boot is made with waterproof full-grain leather or suede with seam-sealed waterproof construction, ideal for cold weather outdoor activities and heavy snow
- Walk Securely: Take on freezing weather and keep your feet on the ground with handcrafted waterproof vulcanized rubber shell with herringbone outsole for durability and traction in icy conditions
- Ideal for Heavy Snow: The Conquest boot is made for extreme conditions, providing you with warm, waterproof, stable, and comfortable protection
- M Select DRY seals out water and lets moisture escape so you stay dry when you're on the move.Molded nylon arch shank
- Performance suede leather and mesh upper
- Bellows, closed-cell foam tongue keeps moisture and debris out. Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability, 5mm lug depth
- Protective rubber toe cap, Breathable mesh lining
- Vibram TC5+ sole, 5mm lug depth
- Merrell M Select FIT.ECO+ blended EVA contoured footbed with added zonal arch and heel support
- Protective rubber toe cap
- Closure Type: Lace-Up
LL BEAN STYLE WOMEN’S BOOTS
- Duck-inspired wet-weather boot
- Rawhide barrel lacing with rustproof eyelets for secure fit
- Micro-fleeced lining provides warmth underfoot
- Non-marking lugged rubber outsole with Wave-Siping for ultimate wet/dry traction
- Premium leather shaft with rubber duck shell and rawhide lacing with rust-proof eyelets for a secure fit
- Genuine shearling-lined footbed with 200G Thinsulate lining and non-marking rubber lugged outsole with original razor-cut Wave-Siping provides ultimate traction
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: This Columbia Women's Ice Maiden II boot features Techlite lightweight midsole for long lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return as well as Omni-Grip advanced traction rubber sole for slip-free movement.
- HANDY FEATURES: This women's winter boot is crafted of waterproof leather and textile construction and 200g insulation to keep you warm and dry during the worst of weather.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: The Ice Maiden II winter boot features a lace-up closure for an adjustable, secure fit.
- FEMININE STYLE: This women's waterproof winter boot delivers a lux, feminine look that's versatile and stylish. Fit tip-it runs true to size. Features seam sealed membrane bootie construction
- This Columbia Women's Ice Maiden II winter boot is lightweight with a waterproof, insulated construction. It's perfect for winter's worst days.
- Ultra soft faux fur lining and insole for best comfort
- FITTING TIP: TRUE TO SIZE, WIDE WIDTH CUSTOMER MIGHT ORDER ONE SIZE UP.
- Durable EVA rubber outsole with tread design delivers traction
- Snow boot featuring woven back panel with dual adjustable buckle straps
- Approx measurements-Heel height: 0.75" , Top opening circumference: 13", Shaft Height: 9"
- Removable insole, Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability
- Performance suede leather and mesh upper. Protective rubber toe cap. Molded nylon arch shank
- 5mm lug depth
- M Select DRY seals out water and lets moisture escape so you stay dry when you're on the move
- Matte rubber duck shell and premium wool shaft.
- Full lined Micro-fleece with Thinsulate for warmth underfoot
- Medial zipper for easy on/off
- Rawhide barrel lacing with rustproof eyelets
- Non-marking lugged rubber outsole with Wave-Siping for ultimate wet/dry traction
- SOREL Boots for Women: Find comfort in bad weather and enjoy winter activities with boots featuring extra-grip traction, insulation, and waterproofing
- Waterproof Boots for Women: Take on bad weather with a waterproof nylon upper, seam-sealed waterproof construction, and microfleece lining
- Snow Boots for Women: Cover your feet in cozy protection against the elements; stay warm with removable, washable, recycled 6 mm felt inner boot and 2.5 mm bonded felt frost plug
- Winter Style Foot Support: Stay comfortable on your feet with purposeful details made to defy winter, whether you're walking to work or playing in the snow
- Function & Comfort: Waterproof construction with 3/4" heel and 1/2" platform for all-day comfort; handcrafted, waterproof, vulcanized rubber shell with herringbone outsole improves traction
- Classic duck boot styling gets a cozy update in the fluffy faux-shearling trimmed Rainah boots by Tommy Hilfiger.
- Round Toe
- Lace-Up Closure
- Faux Sheerling Detail
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Hiking Boot features our lightweight, durable midsole for long lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return as well as an advanced traction rubber sole for slip-free movement on rough ground.
- HANDY FEATURES: Treacherous days out on the trail are comfortable and worry-free with this boot's waterproof full-grain leather and mesh bootie construction and its durable mesh tongue for breathability.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: The Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Hiking Boot features a lace-up closure for an adjustable, secure fit.
- FEMININE STYLE: This women's waterproof hiking boot delivers style and durability with its contrasting color combinations and soft mesh exterior.
- OMNI-GRIP: This multi-terrain traction system matches specially formulated compounds and treads to specific environments. A dual-zone winter tread pattern ensures solid footing on surfaces such as ice and snow.
New England Living | New England Attractions